Behaviorism and the role it plays in a 21st century classroom

Behavioral learning theory is a popular concept that focuses on how students learn. The idea is that all behaviors are learned through interaction and environment, and that inherited factors have little influence on behavior (“What is…,” 2020).  As an educator, deciding when and how much to punish or reward a student is often one of the most challenging decisions we face.  This can be particularly difficult as a new teacher and someone trying to establish a set of classroom rules and procedures. In a video provided by Walden University (Laureate Education, 2015a), Dr. Orey states that reinforcement is more powerful than punishment.  I believe this is important to consider along with the role instructional and technological tools play in shaping student behavior.

In my classroom, I frequently use ClassDojo as a behaviorist-based instructional tool.  ClassDojo is a communication platform that can track student behavior.  Many elementary teachers use it as a reward and punishment system.  It can also be used as a way to communicate with parents and both parents and students can access it through the ClassDojo app.  I use ClassDojo to track student participation in the Spanish language and also as a platform to record what students are learning in class.  I believe using it as a communication tool helps to meet ISTE standard 1.6 for students.  The students can creatively describe what they have learned through a video or through a written blog.  It also helps me as an educator to meet ISTE standard 2.3, where students must be taught to responsibly communicate in an online forum.  As for the behavioral usage of ClassDojo, my students are “rewarded” with points for answering questions during class.  I can also “punish” students by taking away points for inappropriate class behaviors.  For example, I could say that students are not permitted to speak in English and must only communicate in Spanish.  If a student is not following this rule, they may have participation points deducted.  The most common use of ClassDojo in my classroom is to give students participation points when going over homework.  However, over the last several years, our district has made a big push to limit the amount of homework given.  Pitler, Hubbell & Kuhn (2012) state that there are mixed findings on the effectiveness and importance of homework.  If homework is assigned, it is important to clearly identify the purpose of it and also provide feedback.  This is something I need to and will continue to consider.  Is homework an important part of my classroom and am I using it correctly?

Regardless of what technological tool I use in the classroom, the role it plays in student learning must be considered.  Educational learning theories, such as behaviorism, will require different types of instructional strategies and technological tools.  Moorhead (2014) believes that technology should only be used if you keep your learning goals ahead of the technology.  If I look back to some previous class topics, such as genius hour, I believe it’s important to consider Moorhead’s suggestions.  I want my students to study what they are passionate about, but only if I can help them see the relevance of their passion.  Under a behaviorist approach, I could reward students who meet passion project deadlines and praise students for thinking creatively.  I’m not sure whether behavior-based instructional strategies are appropriate at all levels of learning, but I have been able to use this strategy with some success in my own classroom.  

References

International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2022). Standards for students. Retrieved from

https://www.iste.org/standards/iste-standards-for-students

https://www.iste.org/standards/iste-standards-for-teachers

Moorhead, L. (2014, September 3). There’s no app for good teaching. Retrieved from

There’s no app for good teaching

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E.R., & Kuhn, M (2012). Using technology with classroom instruction that

works (2nd ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

What is behavioral learning theory? (2020, May 29). Western Governors University. Retrieved

January 27, 2022 from https://www.wgu.edu/blog/what-behavioral-learning-theory2005.html#close